Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Vexillology - The Study of Flags - The Flag of Stolzonia

It's time for our final project, anything of our choosing that we are particularly interested in. For me? Vexillology and Vexillography, the study and design of flags. For a long time I have had a deep interest in the subject of flag design and finally have the opportunity to explore deeper into the subject. I will use this project not only to research and study existent flags, but also to create and design my own flags and logos for fictional countries and organizations, primarily using Adobe Illustrator.

The Flag of Stolzonia

The Kingdom Stolzonia is a fictional country that I created about a year ago. The country has a very strong Germanic influence and is lead by a Monarch who holds executive power and an elected legislative Council similar to the US Congress. I had originally created the flag using MS Paint, so it looked very pixelated and blocky even seeing it from a distance. The design however I liked very much, and decided that I wanted to create a vector graphic version of the same flag.
Original png of the Stolzonian Flag
Most of the design of the flag was simple shapes, rectangles and one circle. The Cross in the centre soon brought up difficulties however. It took some time for me to figure out the issue and after searching around online I discovered an explanation of how exactly to get what I needed. Using the pen tool and it's ability to make curves I was able to make the nice, smooth and geometric curve that I needed to make the desired shape. The flag ended up coming out perfectly and I am highly satisfied with the result.
New Enhanced, Vector-Based Flag

What's Next?

Later on in the history of Stolzonia, the government became an Imperial government, with a much more complicated flag. I hope to create a smooth vector graphic version of this flag next, with the much more complicated symbol of the Double Headed Eagle in the centre.
Original of the Imperial Flag

No comments:

Post a Comment